Mayor AC Wharton's Commitment to Fitness:
2nd Annual Million Calorie Burn 5k
The Common Table Health Alliance is partnering with Mayor A.C. Wharton’s administration to host Mayor AC Wharton’s Commitment to Fitness: 2nd Annual Million Calorie Burn 5k. This family-friendly initiative is dedicated to reducing the obesity epidemic in the Mid-south by promoting all forms of healthy eating, active living and calorie burning. Our race course will take participants through the beautiful Ridgeway Loop and Shady Grove community. We will also have yoga and Zumba demonstrations, live music, free health screenings, a one-mile fun run and many more activities for the entire family!
The first 200 participants to register will receive a Nike giveaway bag with lots of goodies!
Join Mayor Wharton and the Common Table on September 27 at Highpoint Church, 6000 Briarcrest Avenue, Memphis, TN 38120.
The Issue: Fighting Family and Childhood Obesity
Memphis and Shelby County continue to be challenged by social and economic factors that drive many regional health indicators to the bottom third of most national and state health rankings. In addition, our obesity rates are some of the highest among children in the county, a key indicator of early diagnosis of juvenile diabetes. Improvements to diet and exercise are known to enhance the lives of patients suffering from high rates of chronic diseases.
Your participation in Mayor Wharton's Commitment to Fitness will help the Common Table to fight this issue!
The proceeds of the Million Calorie Burn 5k will support the CTHA's work in the following manner:
- Continue to advocate for full service grocery stores in low-income neighborhoods and statewide food financing programs
- Educating kids and their families on better, smarter way to eat healthy, in partnership with the Boys and Girls Club
- Expanding policies that promote portion control and burning calories in our churches, schools, and workplaces
- Fund playgrounds in low-income communities in partnership with Mayor AC Wharton's SAFE Zones
- Educating our restaurants on offering healthier, low-calorie options through our Preferred Choice recognition program